Code of Conduct
THE RULES ARE AS FOLLOWS... **SCROLL AND READ ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE END!** Any posts outside of the Rules will be removed without notice. The ADMINS of this group are volunteers. Please be kind to them and all members.
LOCATION OF TRANSACTIONS
- Transactions are to take place IN THE CITY OF NAPA.
- If you live outside of Napa, be prepared to come here for all pickups/deliveries in a timely manner, (usually within 48hrs). This is a condition of membership.
- Your sale posts must include a statement that you are willing to meet here, (more than once a week, and at various times of day).
- Members that are reported to not accommodate this (“Will only meet/porch pick up in bordering city/only in town on Tuesday's...") can expect to be removed from the group. There are other VarageSale communities closer to your home.
- Failure to meet in Napa is grounds for removal from the group.
- NO Weapons. This includes, but is not limited to: all guns (including BB and pellet), ammo, gun accessories (clips, mags, scopes, grips, etc), swords (including decorative and collectors’ items) and knives (kitchen knives obviously excluded), tasers, pepper spray or any type of explosive. If you have questions about whether or not your item falls into the category of restricted items, please contact an Admin for guidance.
- NO Drop-side cribs
- NO Expired car seats
- NO Alcohol
- NO “Fake” or “Replica” Trademarked items
- NO Cottage Goods/Homemade food products (without proof and representation that you have a state provided permit and vendors license to do so under RCW 69.22.030.)
- NO Selling or Giving Away of Animals. OK to re-home a pet for a small (less than $50 adoption fee. OK to post lost or found animals.
- In addition, click here for items prohibited specifically by VS: http://help.varagesale.com/article/371-what-items-are-not-allowed.
- DRAMA and inappropriate comments will NOT be tolerated. Attacking, criticizing, or negative remarks will get you banned from the group! PERIOD. No exceptions. We understand that friendly banter and joking happens from time to time and sometimes offense can be taken. But we are all adults here... If you disagree with a comment or post please ignore it and move on.
- ISSUES between a buyer and seller should first attempted to be resolved between the involved parties via Private Messages, (PM). Do NOT address the situation via the feed! This falls under Conduct Rule 1 and will get you banned from the group without exception!!
- NO COMMENTARY/OPINIONS IN DISCUSSIONS. Discussions are used for community information. For example: Recommendations, (contractors, dentists, childcare providers, etc.), Public Notices, (any claim to police reported activity requires a case number). ISO, (In Search Of) postings are ok, but are best placed under an ISO post in a related category to ensure it can be seen by most people and found via the "Search" feature. No "sales" posts, or "Buy my Stuff," in Discussions. Instead, take a picture and upload into a category.
BUYING & SELLING GUIDELINES
- FOR YOUR SAFETY: Work out the details of the transaction in a PM. Do not post personal information on the feed. Meet in public places to transact. Porch pick-ups are convenient, but be safe and take someone with you if possible. Many sellers now have cameras.
- COMMUNICATE & FOLLOW THROUGH: Stick to and follow through with all pick up plans. If you are unable to keep a meeting time or need to change locations, etc... COMMUNICATE this with the other party. No one wants to waste time & gas. Sellers can move to the next person if there is no communication from a buyer within 24 hours. Do not say you are "Interested" in buying an item unless you are able to communicate with the seller within 24 hours and arrange to pick up within 48 hours, (or another mutually acceptable time). Failure to message Seller within 24 hours will be a strike.
- NO SHOW POLICY: If you are reported a "no show " to a meet/pick-up/delivery by another member, you will earn a strike. After 3 strikes you will be removed from the group. This applies to both Buyers & Sellers.
To report a member for a "No Show":
** 1. Click on the ABOUT tab, select an Admin and message them the information.
** 2. Report with member’s name and meet-up details, and screen shots of conversations.
- BUYER BEWARE: Look at items closely before completing the transaction. Buyer is to ensure that items being purchased meet or exceed their expectations. If they don't, don't buy them! BUYERS... it is YOUR responsibility to check over an item before you take it/pay for it. If you decide not to buy, please message the seller promptly and let them know so they can make available to the next buyer. SELLERS... buyers have the right to NOT purchase an item for whatever reason. Do not take it personally. ADMINS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, NOR WILL THEY GET IN THE MIDDLE OF DISPUTES.
- GIVE FULL DISCLOSURE: Please be 100% honest about your item's functionality, quality, and condition.
- FOLLOW ORDER: Sellers must go in order of expressed interest, according to the time stamp. State any and all stipulations in the ‘description’ of your item. State if you have your item "Posted On Multiple Sites," (POMS). If you are selling your items within a timeline, make that clear. For example, state clearly that the sale is “Available to first person who clicks INTERESTED AND can pick up TODAY!” This must be stated at time of listing. No changing after posting. Otherwise, the first person to click INTERESTED is considered first in line!
- PAYMENTS: Be clear on price, make sure the buyer knows exactly how much to bring to the transaction. IF YOU ACCEPT PARTIAL PAYMENT OR CHECKS, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Admins should be notified of issues, but will NOT police these situations. This is a local group, so mailing items should not be necessary. If you do decide to mail items, using PayPal offers some protection. HOWEVER, VARAGESALE IN NO WAY ADVOCATES OR ASSUMES LIABILITY WITH MAILING ITEMS OR USING PAYPAL.
- NO “BIDDING WARS”. This is not an auction site! Buyers, do not try to outbid another buyer on a listed price.
- ALL ITEMS MUST HAVE A LISTED PRICE. Seller, if you ACCEPT an offer on an item YOU MUST STICK WITH IT, even if a better offer comes along after you accepted the first offer! Kicking people out of line after you agreed to their offer is rude and won't be tolerated and will qualify as a strike. If you want more money for your item, then do not accept any offer and hold out for a better one.
- RESELLERS: We have no rule against buying for reselling BUT - Do not falsify your information! Do not obtain your items with sob stories and take for granted the kindness of others, just to make a turn over. These are your neighbors... untruthful and rude actions are not going unnoticed, and offending your fellow members isn't doing yourself any favors.
BUYING & SELLING PROCEDURES
- You must click the green INTERESTED button to hold your place. Asking a question, commenting interested, OR sending a PM (Private Message) WITHOUT FIRST CLICKING "INTERESTED" ON THE ITEM, DOES NOT SAVE YOUR PLACE IN LINE. If you don't hit the green button and see confirmation of your interest in the comments... your place in line doesn't exist. Do not click INTERESTED unless you are able to message the Seller and make arrangements during the next 24 hours.
- All sales proceed in order of those clicking the INTERESTED button. Sellers, if you skip over people purposefully, you will be removed. ONLY exception being if seller is following order based on a timeline or pick-up stipulation indicated in the ORIGINAL post.
- PM the seller to make arrangements and work out details. DO NOT make meeting arrangements in the comments of the post. All sale arrangements must be made via PM, email or text messages. This is for safety reasons. Failure to communicate with seller within 24 hours of being "interested" in an item, and the buyer can move on to the next person.
- If you decide you're no longer interested: click ”NO LONGER INTERESTED" on the item so others can have their chance in a timely manner.
- Sellers, please update and maintain the STATUS of you items: (available/reserved/sold)(looking for/found it!) When an item sells, PLEASE UPDATE THE STATUS TO "SOLD"... DO NOT SIMPLY DELETE THE POST. Deleting the post robs the buyer, (and seller), of a sale that can count toward "Top Member" status. When changing the status to sold, make sure to give credit to the buyer by selecting their name in the drop down menu. An item will self delete in 7 days after being marked Sold or Found It!
IMAGES & UPLOADS
- You can upload 5 pictures to show off different angles/features of the same item. Make sure the first picture is the one you want to see on the page (should NOT be an internet picture).
- Photo must be of your "actual item" and not from the internet. Only exception: if item is sealed and NEW IN BOX (NIB). You must state this in the Description.
- No cross-posting in multiple categories. Pick ONE category and post your item only once. Even if it may work in another category, do not post again. Chose the best one. After a week, you can always edit your post and move into the other category.
- Images with multiple items: If they are similar items, (ex. DVD's) you can post up to 10 in one post, but they all need to be the SAME PRICE. State in the description "$x each." Items that are not similar, must be sold either as a Lot or individually. If selling as a Lot state in description, "All for $x." If each item is for sale individually, give it its own photo/post.
- No screenshots from your phone of item posted elsewhere. They will be deleted without notice. Clear, well-lit, uncluttered, close-up pics are best.
- Only posts items for sale/in search of. No general posts. No “buy my stuff” posts.
INDEPENDENT DISTRIBUTORS/SMALL BUSINESSES/SERVICE OFFERED/CUSTOM MADE
You are welcome to post ONE POST in the “small business directory." You can use a pic of your business card or collage of products/services offered. This is the ONLY place these listing will be accepted. Do not post links to your business anywhere except in the Small Business Directory. You may change photo no more than 1 time a week and must remove any prior post.
If you make CUSTOM items - place an ad for your items in the Small Business Directory. Handmade items that are finished and are not offered as being customizable, are already made and could be picked up right then, can be placed in the Handmade Items category.
- EX-consultants looking to sell-off home inventory may contact admin for approval before offering mass quantity for sale, as to not cause confusion and have your posts removed. Items must be significantly discounted (25% or more) and not sold for same price as current sales prices offered by company.
BUSINESSES WITH STOREFRONTS*
You may post ONE advertisement in the Small Business category only. You may not comment on posts, message other members, etc with information about your business, or you will be removed.
This link takes you directly to the Admin Tips with lots of helpful graphics on the most common items:
Need more info on how to navigate around Varagesale and all the cool features? Click the ?
ADMINS hold no responsibility for items bought/sold as a result of this group. We are not responsible for ANY product bought or sold as a result of this group. Any injury or damages caused from items purchased or personal safety are not the responsibility of the administrators or the group itself. Use this group at your own discretion.