Code of Conduct
Here are 10 community rules:
- Let’s create a positive local community spirit! Please be courteous and kind with one another.
- Transactions are between the buyer and seller only. Admins do not get involved in member transactions and cannot dictate to a member who they should sell to or buy from.
- Please do not post items that are prohibited on VarageSale, including but not limited to counterfeit/replica items (these are illegal, even if non-authenticity is disclosed), regulated items (weapons, alcohol, tobacco) and gambling-related items. You can see the full list of prohibited items here: http://help.varagesale.com/article/371-what-items-are-not-allowed
- Small businesses are limited to one ad posted in the Small Business Directory by following these instructions: http://help.varagesale.com/article/407-how-can-i-post-to-the-small-business-directory. Any small business posts found outside of this category (including direct sales such as Tupperware, Scentsy, etc.) will be removed.
- When posting a car seat, you must include the manufacture date in the item description (or as a photo) for safety reasons (this can usually be found on a sticker under the seat). Car seats/bases should never be resold if they have been in an accident, or if they were manufactured prior to January 1, 2012. (More info here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safedrivers-childsafety-faq-1131.htm).
- Drop-side cribs are not permitted to be sold on VarageSale due to safety concerns outlined by Health Canada. (More info here: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/safe-sleep/cribs-cradles-bassinets.html).
- Baby walkers are illegal to possess in Canada and are not permitted to be sold in VarageSale’s Canadian communities. (More info here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fines-of-up-to-100k-for-owning-selling-baby-walkers-1.499954)
- Household pets are not permitted, whether for sale or rehoming. While we love the idea that pets can find new homes, we also recognize the potential bad things that can happen (puppy mills, animal fights, to mention a few). There haven’t been any confirmed reports of these bad things happening so far, but we’d rather be proactive to ensure nothing ever does. This was a really hard decision, but we felt it was the right thing to do.
- We follow a strike policy in this community for inappropriate behaviour, including no-shows and incomplete communication. We rely on member reports to enforce this. If you’d like to report a member, please send a private message to an administrator or moderator. Sellers assign strikes so be sure to communicate with your seller if you are going to be late or need to reschedule which should only be in rare circumstances. If a No Show is reported to an administrator/moderator then we have to respect that and record the strike. Accounts may be revoked from our community if too many strikes are issued by sellers.
- VarageSale is a local, neighbourhood experience. If you are posting an item for sale in this community, you MUST be able to meet within the local community area to complete the transaction. Sellers cannot expect a buyer to come to them, UNLESS the seller lives in the community where the item is posted.
Have fun and happy buying and selling!